Monday, March 10, 2014

The Wrong Kawasaki: Unlocking Google Barriers with Second Language


There is a lot that can only be learned by reading materials in the original language. You might find plenty on Japanese history or anime in English, but if you want to know what it is like to grow up in Kawasaki and if you want to know why people consider that area dangerous, you have to search in Japanese.
That wasn’t a conclusion that I came to easily. For years I avoided using the net in Japanese where I could. There is so much information in English that it’s not necessary in many (if not most) cases. The wall that I hit was Kawasaki. Apparently I hit it as hard as if I had ridden a Kawasaki motorcycle into it, because bikes were the *only* thing I could get Google to bring up. Well, I'm thankful for it because it got me to step out of my comfort zone and I learned some things that I doubt I'd have found anywhere in English.
Something I am likely to return to many times when I talk about translation and language learning on this blog, is that for a number of reasons elitism and insecurity mingle freely within students of Japanese. Judgmental attitudes are everywhere on the net, in university, on the street, in the bars, cafes and workplaces. Discussing why that is would probably be interesting (and here's a blog post that does so, though I do disagree with her on a number of points), but for now I'm more interested in trying to free myself from it. For my own part, it is relieving to admit that I had a mental block against even trying to use the net in my second language.
I know for some people, making active use of their second language is first nature. But I also know that, like myself, it isn’t natural or automatic for many others. When I taught English as a second language, I found it very difficult to get students using Google in English. I knew it would be a huge benefit to them because of the sheer volume of information available on the internet in English. These days I feel foreign language teachers ought to be able to do, or at the least ought to be learning to do, anything they preach to their students as indispensable. I should have taken my own advice long ago, but sometimes (read, usually) I find that I have to be forced into taking the necessary steps forward.
If you are studying a second language and aren't already doing this, I encourage you to learn new things in your second language. Don't just study the language, but seek out topics that you can learn about for the first time and do so with the vocabulary and grammar you have available to you. Learn the words and structures you need to grasp what you're reading, but focus on the information and what you need to know from it, rather than on the language itself. I think one of the effects of this practice is to learn and be conversant about things you might not be able discuss in your primary language. That was something I encountered for the first time working with transparent circuits, and it is something I'm still studying in English so I can catch up again.
And if you try it and it doesn’t help much, or even if it is just boring, no sweat! Unlike expensive textbooks, finding materials on the net is free!
If you’ve had some experience with this, or even if you think it is total rubbish, let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment